Chinese Food Therapy For Headaches and Migraines
Food is the most underrated, but concurrently one of the most powerful things that can help someone to heal from having migraines or headaches. It never ceases to amaze me how people think they eat healthy but when we get down to the nitty gritty, the diet of most is not good for the most part. Much of the food that is being consumed today creates inflammation in the body.
Dr. Gabriel Cousens states in his book There is a Cure for Diabetes that the fourth stage (out of seven) of disease is inflammation. Headaches and migraines are a form of inflammation in the head (p.169). There are foods that inflame and make the problem worse and there are foods that make it better. Chinese food therapy is simple and addresses food so that it can be used as a tool to really help you heal.
Widget not in any sidebars
Foods to eliminate for headaches and migraines:
- Dairy: mucus forming, which adds pressure in the lymphatic system, and ultimately puts pressure on the central nervous system. Cut out ALL dairy.
- Eggs: when you have a weakened digestive system, including low hydrochloric acid, eggs can cause an increase in ammonia, which can saturate and irritate the central nervous system. Cut out completely.
- Gluten: (wheat, rye, barley, spelt). Gluten confuses the immune system and elevates histamines, which can trigger migraines. Cut it out completely.
- Meat (beef, chicken, pork). When you have a weakened digestive system (which most do), including low hydrochloric acid, dense proteins can cause ammonia production, which can saturate and irritate the central nervous system.
- Fermented Foods (pickles, kimchi, ketchup, sauerkraut). Fermented or vinegar-based food lower the pH in the intestinal tract, making your body acidic, which can trigger migraines.
- Salt: Celtic sea salt and Himalayan salt are the best. Do not use table salt.
- Oils: Canola, corn, cottonseed, canola, and palm oil can be highly inflammatory, especially when heated and non-organic. Cold pressed raw (not heated) coconut oil is best.
- Additives (MSG, Asparatame, Splenda): these are neurotoxic and can be aggressive triggers for migraine sufferers.
- Alcohol: extremely dehydrating and very hard on the liver.
- Chocolate: overstimulating and highly aggressive to the central nervous system, chocolate acts as a neurotoxin that can trigger migraines. Some people claim that chocolate and other forms of caffeine can help and a migraines. They’ve experienced that effect because caffeine triggers the adrenals to flood the body with adrenalin, which acts as a stopgap for the inflammation that causes migraines. Over time, though, that caffeine has unproductive repercussions. (Medical Medium, William Anthony)
Foods for headaches and migraines that heal:
- watermelon (really good one)
- goji berries
- And all green leafy veggies:
- celery – excellent
- swiss chard
- romaine lettuce
- bok choy
- collard greens
- mustard greens
The body needs to be cooled down and most of the above mentioned things are thermally cold. Most vegetables and fruits have a cold thermal quality and overall help to quell inflammation and saturate the body with needed nutrients.
If you have headaches or migraines, I actually would highly encourage you to do a 30 day detox where you consume nothing other than vegetables (75%) and fruits (25%) for the next 30 days. No, you won’t die and yes, fruits and veggies do have protein in them, so you will be just fine. The first seven days may be very tough, but if you can last that long, normally migraines and headaches will alleviate significantly after just one week of eating this alone.
Chinese food therapy may prove to be a simple but powerful way to start you on the road to healing from headaches and migraines.
This is part 14 – the final part – of a series on headaches and migraines – read more from Dr. Scott Graves
- 10 Keys To Healing Tension Headaches And Migraines Naturally
- 8 Triggers To Migraine And Tension Headaches
- Juicing And Electrolytes For Headaches And Migraines
- Shield Yourself From EMF And Electromagnetic Pollution Headaches And Migraines
- The Emotions and Consciousness Behind Headaches and Migraines
- Chinese Medicine, Headaches And Migraines
- Chiropractic for Migraines and Headaches
- Organic Whole Food Supplementation For Headaches And Migraines
- 7 Ways To Rehydrate To Reverse Headaches And Migraines
- 4 Essential Oils for Tension Headaches or Migraines
- Acupuncture For Migraines And Headaches
- Migraines, Headaches, The Menstrual Cycle And Hormone Changes
- Chinese Herbal Formulas For Migraines And Headaches
Dr. Scott Graves ND, MA is a Florida-based Naturopath and Intuitive who specializes in Nutrition Response Testing, NAET, EFT, and Psychokinesiology. He offers free 15 minute phone consultations and is available for radio and TV interviews. Read his Blog here. Like him on Facebook.