7 Ways to Rehydrate to Reverse Headaches and Migraines
Rehydrate Now: Dehydration as a cause of Migraines or Headaches
Another frequent cause of migraine or tension headaches is dehydration. In so many cases, people tend to be so busy or just are not paying enough attention to the subtle needs of the body that when the pain arrives the awareness comes that not enough water has been consumed throughout the course of the day. Lack of water and headaches are a very common issue that is easily remedied. Dehydration is also a well-known factor in those with fatigue or low energy.
In some frightening cases, I have had patients that have commented to me that there have been times when they can remember going weeks on end without having consumed a drop of pure water. These people are more common than one might think. The liquids that are being consumed instead are coffee, soft drinks, tea, energy drinks, Gatorade and other types of beverages. The body distinctively knows when you are drinking pure water verses when you are having water that is mixed with something else. Everyone needs to be drinking just pure water.
Widget not in any sidebars
Ergo, here are some suggestions for how to best consume water.
- Quantity. The rule in Chinese medicine in a normal health person is to drink water when you are thirsty. However, many pathological conditions exist in which a person is not thirsty at all or they are way too thirsty (diabetes). For most adults, at least 50 ounces per day is a good start. If exercising during the day, more than twice this amount can be consumed. If your urine is yellow at the beginning of the day, another good practice is to drink enough water so your urine turns clear or mostly clear by the end of the day.
- Say NO to bottled water. Drinking bottled water is a wasteful practice, using up a lot of petroleum (oil) in order to make plastic. Buy a very nice 32 or 40 ounce stainless steel bottle ($30-40) which should last you a lifetime unless you lose it and can be refilled endlessly. Many of these bottles are very well made and have a lifetime warranty.
- Buy a home water filtration system. In order to use your own bottle, you must buy a home water filter. The Berkey Water Filter is a great one to use. Do you own research to find one that works best for you. You will end up saving money in the long run by buying your own filter verses buying plastic bottled water.
- Never drink water from the tap. Water from a city or municipality is loaded with chlorine and fluoride, both of which are toxins. Additionally, water from the tap is known to be loaded with many other chemicals, including pesticides, medication and hormone disruptors. Toxins are known to contribute many health problems including migraine and tension headaches. If you go to work out, bring your own water with you.
- Filter your shower water. When you take a hot shower, all of your pores are opened and absorb all the toxins of regular city water. Buy a filter that you can attach directly to your shower.
- Drink water first thing in the morning upon waking. The body gets dehydrated at night due to all the repairing, cleansing and healing that is done while sleeping. When you awake, the body is ready to get rid of these toxins and what better way to help the body then by drinking 16-20 ounces as soon as you get out of bed in the morning. Coffee and tea actually dehydrate your body, so this is not the first thing you want to drink upon waking!
- Drink room temperature water mostly. This is a practice that has been known in Chinese medicine for thousands of years. Never drink ice water with meals. This will slow down digestion and can be a major contributor to digestive issues. Try not to drink any liquids with a meal. Instead, wait 30 minutes after eating to consume beverages. Drinking beverages with meals dilutes your digestive capacity.
It never ceases to amaze how tension headaches or migraines can be remedied by something as simple as drinking water. But this is the case with more people than you would think. The above steps are simply good practices for anyone, whether you struggle with headaches or not. These are also good practices to be more aware of the resources of the planet and how getting pure water is a wonderful way of loving yourself and giving your body only the very best. Make it your habit to drink more water today and this may help you to alleviate a migraine or tension headache.
DISCLAIMER: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
This is part 9 of a series on headaches and migraines – read more from Dr. Scott Graves
- 10 Keys To Healing Tension Headaches And Migraines Naturally
- 8 Triggers To Migraine And Tension Headaches
- Juicing And Electrolytes For Headaches And Migraines
- Shield Yourself From EMF And Electromagnetic Pollution Headaches And Migraines
- The Emotions and Consciousness Behind Headaches and Migraines
- Chinese Medicine, Headaches And Migraines
- Chiropractic for Migraines and Headaches
- Organic Whole Food Supplementation For Headaches And Migraines
Dr. Scott Graves ND, MA is a Florida-based Naturopath and Intuitive who specializes in Nutrition Response Testing, NAET, EFT, and Psychokinesiology. He offers free 15 minute phone consultations and is available for radio and TV interviews. Read his Blog here. Like him on Facebook.