Acupuncture for Migraines and Headaches
You need to try acupuncture for migraines or headaches if this is something you struggle with. I have personally found it to be 80-90% effective for most people, which is remarkable at reducing the severity and duration of them in the short and long run. What many don’t understand is that acupuncture is 100% scientific and can be explained using a language and words the Western medical world has really only begun understanding for the last 20-40 years.
It is astonishing that the Chinese knew this thousands of years ago, when it can only be explained with Western medicine until recently. You don’t need to understand how acupuncture is explained in order for it to work much like you don’t need to know biochemically how ibuprofen (or any drug) works in order to feel its effects. People just take it and it works. But, for many, acupuncture has been dubbed as mystical, strange and esoteric and therefore avoided, when there is a perfectly scientific process that is neither strange nor mystical.
My favorite book written on the subject is called The Spark in the Machine by Dr. Daniel Keown (a medical doctor and acupuncturist). In this book he describes how embryology and a detailed understanding of the fascia (connective tissue) is vital to be able to see how the Chinese saw “meridians” or “channels” in the body and energy (electricity) flows around the body. This understanding will form the basis of how acupuncture for migraines and headaches works. A summary of this would be as follows.
1. Meridians in Chinese medicine follow fascia or connective tissue plans in the body. Connective tissue (collagen) is a fantastic conductor and generator or electricity. When pain exists, there is normally inflammation occurring along a connective tissue plan in the body. “It is the space between cells, between organs and between fascia, where the acupuncture channels lie” (p. 46). When the fascia is inflamed, the result is pain, and a lack of conduction of electricity stops to that area, so that the body cannot get what is needed in order to heal.
2. Electricity is what the Chinese understand as Qi. “Collagen (what connective tissue is largely made of) should be seen as an electrical super-substance, a semiconducting, piezoelectric, bio-helix, holding, generating and even directing body electricity…an electrical force held in a fabric into which our body is woven: this is science that is beginning to sound like Chinese medicine and Qi” (p. 22) You hear a lot about Qi in Chinese medicine and qi is either defined from a western standpoint as electricity or air (oxygen). Lack of blood (which carries oxygen) and oxygen to any part of the body will result in pain and inflammation and eventual malfunction.
3. The best name for an acupuncture point would better be described as a neural-vascular node. Science has proven these exist where the Chinese have pointed them out to be. These nodes are full of mast cells, nerve centers and are lymphatic gathering places, which tell the brain to send powerful pain relieving substances around the body.
How will this help my migraine or tensions headaches?
When a needle is strategically placed on these neuro-vascular nodes around the body, these mast cells are broken open. When these cells are broken open they send signals to the brain to release leukotrienes and prostaglandins, which are the most powerful pain relieving and anti-inflammatory substances produced by the body. The needles produce a micro trauma and the immune system kicks in to help you to heal. This is how and why acupuncture works wonders for tensions headaches and migraines.
When multiple sessions are performed, the body is able to initiate a response which will often heal even the most persistent cases of pain and inflammation.
Acupuncture is 100% safe, doesn’t hurt and when done by a trained acupuncturist it can do wonders for migraines and tensions headaches. Call Dr. Scott @ 407-255-0314 to set up an appointment today at the Altamonte Springs/Orlando, Fl clinic.
DISCLAIMER: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
This is part 11 of a series on headaches and migraines – read more from Dr. Scott Graves
- 10 Keys To Healing Tension Headaches And Migraines Naturally
- 8 Triggers To Migraine And Tension Headaches
- Juicing And Electrolytes For Headaches And Migraines
- Shield Yourself From EMF And Electromagnetic Pollution Headaches And Migraines
- The Emotions and Consciousness Behind Headaches and Migraines
- Chinese Medicine, Headaches And Migraines
- Chiropractic for Migraines and Headaches
- Organic Whole Food Supplementation For Headaches And Migraines
- 7 Ways To Rehydrate To Reverse Headaches And Migraines
- 4 Essential Oils for Tension Headaches or Migraines
Dr. Scott Graves ND, MA is a Florida-based Naturopath and Intuitive who specializes in Nutrition Response Testing, NAET, EFT, and Psychokinesiology. He offers free 15 minute phone consultations and is available for radio and TV interviews. Read his Blog here. Like him on Facebook.