6 Dangerous Supermarket Foods the Elite Won’t Eat
It may take a devastating illness to stay away from deep-fried chicken, doughnuts, or sugary sodas. But, do you know there are actually foods at your local supermarket that experts avoid that are considered healthy by most?
With increased disease, food scientists have been shedding light on foods loaded with chemicals that are toxic to your health. Experts – including nutritionists and medical professionals – have opted for non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) and organic foods. Could they just be food fear mongers? (I doubt it)
Well, consider this: Why do big food companies like Monsanto only allow organic in their cafeterias? Even United States Presidents and their families won’t eat so-called “health foods” from our local supermarkets. Do we need to re-examine the foods we eat if food manufacturers and United States Presidents are steering clear from them?
Foods that the ‘elite’ won’t eat
So, what are some of the so-called healthy foods that the elite won’t eat? You may be surprised, but following are six foods that you may want to reconsider when shopping at your local supermarket:
1. Corn-fed beef because cattle are natural grass eaters. However, today’s farmers feed their cattle grains such as corn and soybeans to fatten them up faster for food processing. Unfortunately, the meat is contaminated with genetically modified organisms (GMOs) due to their feed. Compared to grass-fed beef, they aren’t nearly as nutrient dense or free of contaminants.
2. Farm-raised salmon – This type of fish are fed soy, poultry litter, and hydrolyzed chicken feathers. As a result, they are lower in nutrients and higher in toxins – including carcinogens, polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB), brominated flame retardants, and pesticides such as dioxin and DDT.
3. Commercially-produced (conventional) milk products – Most milk is pasteurized, homogenized and derived from dairy cattle fed with artificial hormones such as recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH or rBST) to boost milk production. This hormone also increases udder infection and allows pus in the milk and also leads to higher levels of another hormone called insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1). Studies have shown that high levels of IGF-1 contribute to breast, prostate, and colon cancers.
4. Conventional soy/corn products – Unfortunately, 90 percent of soy (and corn) in the world is genetically modified and therefore long-term health problems are a result including digestive issues, food allergies and an increased risk of cancer due to a compromised immune system.
5. Non-organic apples – Because apples aren’t resistant to pests, they are heavily doused in pesticides. Unfortunately, the peel cannot just be washed or removed to avoid toxins as the chemicals do penetrate the flesh of the fruit. There are many other foods heavily sprayed with pesticides. So, if you’re going to eat non-organic produce – be sure to avoid the “dirty dozen”, at the very least.
6. Canned tomatoes – This food is packaged in tin cans containing bisphenol-A (BPA) which is a synthetic estrogen that has been linked to several chronic illnesses: obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. The acidity from tomatoes cause BPA to leach into food, and each liter of canned tomatoes contain 50 micrograms of BPA which is the upper exposure limit.
President Obama states that food safety in America is outdated by 100+ years
For decades, the United States government had been tucking their tails when issues concerning GMOs were raised. Instead, they allow the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to make decisions on whether a food is safe for consumer consumption. While the European Union has banned GMOs for years, the FDA still claims genetically modified foods are of “substantially equivalent” quality to natural foods and don’t require any safety studies.
Yet, United States President Barack Obama talked about tougher food safety measures on numerous occasions – mostly prompted by First Lady Michelle Obama who is a proponent for sustainable farming and locally organic foods. In a 2009 weekly address, he acknowledged that “many of the laws and regulations governing food safety in America” are outdated and “have not been updated since they were written in the time of Teddy Roosevelt” which was over a hundred years ago.
President Obama’s family only eats organic food
According to an article in the Huffington Post, the “Obama family has wisely opted out of exposing themselves to GM foods by requiring organic – and therefore non-GMO – foods served at the White House.”
If the elite won’t eat so-called healthy foods, then neither should we.
About the author: Abby Campbell is a medical, health, and nutrition research writer. She’s dedicated to helping people live a healthy lifestyle in all aspects – physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Abby practices, writes, and coaches on natural preventive care, nutritional medicine, and complementary and alternative therapy.