30 Ways to Ground Yourself as an Empath + 13-Minute Grounding & Clearing Meditation
What does it mean to be “grounded”? When I am asked this question, my go-to response suggests the following:
- Feeling wholesomely present, not as if your “head is in the clouds” (think tethered to the Earth)
- Grounded energetically, meaning you feel as if you are in your body (it is common for some souls to float outside of their bodies in an attempt to feel “safe”)
- Feeling balanced – as if you are in a peaceful state between Heaven and Earth yet present in your body
Being “grounded” can mean many different things to different people. However, it is often a topic of discussion for empathic people, or individuals who are feeling or sensitive to the energies of others and the world.
When I was growing up, I thought my sensitivity was a weakness. I attempted to shut my heart down and vowed to focus solely on work. As I grew up and traveled, I realized that relationships with others matter more than money or career gain. Truly, life is about who you surround your time with and the projects/hobbies that occupy your time. As empathic, or highly-feeling people, shifting into a state where we feel comfortable around others, can take work. However, with practice, you will become better at it – I promise.
Each of us has an auric field which is an extension of our being (soul). You can feel and other sensitives can sense when there are patches in your aura, energy is leaking out, there are unhealthy cords leaching your energy, or you simply have no defenses in place. Because we are not taught about our many bodies and how to keep them healthy, special attention was given to grounding the emotional body in the video below:
First and foremost, intention rules everything. Energy work is largely about cultivating awareness and tapping into your intuition. Once you begin feeling, you can follow your internal compass (emotions), aided by your spirit guides, angels, and Spirit (God), to propel your journey forward. To be able to listen and act in alignment with our Highest Selves, however, we need to be grounded – or at least have one foot on the ground.
To better protect your energetic boundaries, ground yourself, and feel supported as you navigate through this crazy world, 25+ grounding techniques have been shared below:
- Connect with your body by doing yoga or stretching with the intention for 10-30 minutes/day, 5 days a week
- Move your body and exercise! Do whatever feels fun to you.
- Receive a massage and focus on what you are grateful for.
- Take a relaxing hot bath or shower.
- Connect with your partner, focus on the feelings in your body, and give 100% attention to the act of sharing love.
- Clean and tidy your space.
- Bathe in the sun or moon.
- “Earth” by putting your bare feet flat on the ground for 10-20 minutes a day.
- Try using essential oils in a diffuser or natural creams and lotions. Valerian, lavender, jasmine, holy basil, sweet basil, chamomile, and Frankincense are quite lovely.
- Try the meditations in the video (above)
- Cut unhealthy cords and connections to your being (stop leaking energy). The meditation is in the video (above)
- Spend time with animals who are naturally gifted at bringing out your true self.
- Wear a black tourmaline necklace. It is a powerful protector against negative energy in both the Earthly and spirit plane and is said to reflect negative energy back to the sender. *Cleanse your gem and crystal necklaces in salt-water overnight.
- Receive Reiki. Learn more here.
- Practice Tai Chi. You can find free classes on YouTube and connect with like-minded groups through MeetUp
- Play! De-stress and simply enjoy being in your body. Do a silly dance, play around with your kids. Whatever you do, just focus on letting go so you feel safer returning to your body.
- Connect with music that helps you F-E-E-L. Often, anxiety stems from overwhelm overflowing from challenging emotions. Music can help us connect to deeper parts of ourselves, releasing as we feel to new depths and forgive.
- Eat more grounding foods, such as sweet potato, squash, carrots, and beets – foods that come from the ground. Protein is also helpful for grounding. Plant-based sources include peas, chickpeas, beans, lentils, chia seeds, hemp, and more. If you eat meat, opt for organic, antibiotic-free options that were humanely raised. Make peace with your food and give thanks for sustenance
- Aim for 8 hours of sleep a night. Science repeatedly affirms the need to get more Zzzs and the positive effects derived from replenishing.
- Eliminate alcohol for 30 days.
- Use visualizations in the video above to help with grounding and clearing.
- Try affirmations!
- I stay rooted and grounded, no matter the direction or force of the wind.
- I am one with the earth. I am one with my body.
- I channel my highest self under all circumstances.
- Read and relax.
- Get adequate quiet time to create and/or sort your thoughts.
- Start journaling about your ups, downs, what you are grateful for, your goals, and more.
- Work on setting healthy boundaries.
- Do chores with mindfulness. It’s easy to think, “Oh, I want the new _____” or “My life could be so much better!”. But truly, our lives are better than our ancestors ever were. There is a lot to be grateful for and doing chores in a mindful way can prove transformational for the stubborn heart.
- Practice deep breathing or Whim Hoff practices.
- Smudge your home with lavender, sage, or sweetgrass.
- BONUS: Try art therapy! Whatever you want to create, do it.
There are, of course, more ways to “get grounded” and feel more in touch with your body, mind, and soul. I hope this guide helps you. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Source: Life in Bloom