1-Pot Kale Sweet Potato Curry [Vegan Recipe]
How has June been treating you? I’m not going to lie. Emotionally, it’s been a roller coaster. In addition to working too many jobs (I have a hard time saying “no” – I’m working on it…), studying business and accounting, preparing to get married in August (eek!), and developing my own businesses, we are moving to a different house in one month.
This is the time, friends, that we just have to breathe. I know I’m not alone in my trials this year. The best advice I can impart is to:
- Adhere to a healthy regime (Eat right and exercise! Fuel your beautiful brain and body so you can tackle what comes at you)
- M-e-d-i-t-a-t-e! You are the only one who can calm your mind. Take 10 and deep breathe. Reconnect with Flow and power by focusing on your breath and repeating a mantra that means something to you… like, “I am at peace in mind, body, and spirit.” Pretty soon, your blood pressure will lower and you’ll feel clearer.
- Talk to someone when you need it No one is untouched by the economic upheaval which has resulted from COVID. My prayer is that you reach out and talk to someone when you feel like you need to express and be heard. You are not alone.
It took me under 30 minutes to throw together. After sautéing shallots, ginger, and garlic, add the sweet potato and red curry paste. Then, include the remaining ingredients (like anti-inflammatory turmeric, black pepper (which activates turmeric), and coconut milk. Allow the curry to simmer and the potatoes to soften before you add kale and serve over steamed broccoli or quinoa.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil (or avocado or grapeseed oil)
- 1 medium shallot (minced)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium Thai red chili or Serrano pepper (stem removed and thinly sliced)
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 large sweet potato (or sub 2 medium // peeled and cubed)
- 2 14-ounce cans light coconut milk (full fat = extra creamy)
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Sea salt to taste (to taste)
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas (optional)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews (optional)
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- FOR SERVING:
- Steamed Broccoli
- or Quinoa
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add coconut oil, shallot, ginger, garlic, and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add red curry paste and sweet potato, stir and cook for 2 minutes more.
Add coconut milk, maple syrup, turmeric, and a pinch of salt and stir. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Once simmering, add peas (optional) and slightly reduce heat. You want a simmer, not a boil, which should be around low to medium-low heat.
Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to soften the potato and peas and infuse them with curry flavor. At this time, taste and adjust the flavor of the broth as needed.
Once the broth is well seasoned and the potatoes are softened, add kale, cashews (optional) and lemon juice, and cover. Simmer for 3-4 minutes more over low to medium-low heat.
Serve over quinoa or steamed broccoli. A squirt of lemon juice elevates this meal.
Please comment your thoughts/feedback below! I love comments.
Source: Life in Bloom