Food As Medicine: Return to Nature
Nature works in balance with all its ecosystems.
All life is a part of Nature. Therefore, as Nature is self-sustaining, self-regenerating, and self-healing, so are we. Spending time in Nature not only helps us feel happy, but benefits health in a myriad of ways. For instance, as people begin to appreciate that trees communicate underground through mycelium networks, these same mushrooms, such as Lion’s Mane, can heal our bodies and minds.
Going back to Nature means:
- using the tools of nature of heal yourself.
- growing your own foods.
- growing foods in community gardens.
- supporting local small farmers who enhance soil nutrition.
- finding local bee keepers for the benefits of local honey.
- realizing the microbes in the soil are the same microbes in the gut which is the center of the immune system.
- understanding your body’s immune system is based in the gut.
- using soups and teas as a direct line to your cells, bypassing the gut when the gut is damaged and needs time to heal.
- recognizing the herbs you grow in your own yard are not just weeds.
- looking as food as medicine.
- using plants in multiple ways; as teas, tinctures, and as food in culinary dishes.
- learning that certain flowers, like peony petals, are edible. See recipe.
- knowing that the best source of ‘vitamin D’ is made from sun rays on your skin.
- knowing that the second best source of vitamin D comes from food, including chicken eggs exposed to the sun or cod liver oil.
- spending time outdoors.
- communicating with the plants as the Native Americans and Aborigines – the Originals- taught.
- going back to the kitchen.
For more ideas, listen to a short 30-minute radio interview I did with Donna Bemis of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, where I discuss simple ways of how we can find balance in an unbalanced world through Nature’s example.
Rosanne Lindsay is a writer, blogger, and Naturopathic healer. She is the author of two books, The Nature of Healing: Heal the Body, Heal the Planet, and her story of thyroid disease reversal: Free Your Voice, Heal Your Thyroid, Reverse Thyroid Disease Naturally. Find her at Nature of Healing on Facebook. Consult with Rosanne to create a custom healing protocol via Skype or Zoom or phone. Contact her at natureofhealing.org. Subscribe to her blog for updates at https://www.natureofhealing.org/blog/.