The AMAZING Health Boosting Benefits of Oregano Oil
By Sara Tipton
Oregano is one of the best herbs to have on hand for holistic medicine. The oil of oregano is rich in natural medicine. In fact, an astringent can be made from oregano tincture to wipe down the abrasion!
Not to mention the flavor if this medicinal herb is second to none, and most people find it palatable to add to their food. It’s most known for its presence in Italian cuisine. If you want to know how to make your own herbal tincture with oregano, be sure you click on this article:
WHY OREGANO IS SUCH A POWERFUL AND HEALTHY MEDICINAL HERB
Natural health and holistic medicine have been making a comeback lately! In this day and age, where it seems like everyone you know is on some kind of Big Pharma drug and experiencing horrifying side effects they need to be medicated for as well, it’s important to understand that the power of nature and our own bodies just might be all we need. After all, did nature make a mistake by not creating vaccines? I would argue that it did not because it gave us an immune system, but that’s a topic for another day.
In a previous article, we discussed who oregano oil is a must for the medicine cabinet and why preppers and survivalists turn to this wondrous herb for it’s healing benefits:
The strains of bacteria that essential oil of oregano works against are Proteus vulgaris, Streptococcus faecalis (found in stool), Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus subtilis, and Escherichia coli (one of the bad ones, also found in stool). In terms of antifungal activity, essential oil of oregano is effective against Candida albicans, Aspergillus niger, and Fusarium species.
The oil also is effective against several types of parasites, such as Entamoeba hartmanni and Endolimax nana. Most of all of these bugs and fungi can be found (whether you want to find them or not) in…you guessed it…the great outdoors. In the case of Candida albicans, a bug that affects women, oil of oregano has positive effects that are similar to Nystatin in clearing up the problem. –Source
5 HEALTH BOOSTING REASONS TO USE OREGANO:
- Natural Antibiotic – Oregano is well-known for its antibiotic properties. One particular study looked at whether oregano oil improved the survival of mice infected with Staphylococcus aureus. Six out of 14 (43%) of the mice given oregano oil lived past 30 days, a survival rate nearly as high as the 7 out of 14 (50%) survival rate for mice that received regular antibiotics. Research has also shown that oregano oil may be effective against types of bacteria that can become resistant to antibiotics. This includes Pseudomonas aeruginosa and E. coli, both of which are common causes of urinary tract and respiratory tract infections.
- Improve Gut Health – Oregano may help improve the health of your gut. Not only could oregano oil help against a “leaky gut,” (when the gut is so damaged that bacteria and toxins leak into the bloodstream) but it could also help alleviate gut symptoms such as diarrhea, pain and bloating are common and can be caused by gut parasites.One study gave 600 mg of oregano oil to 14 people who had gut symptoms as a result of a parasite. After daily treatment for six weeks, all participants experienced a reduction in parasites, and 77% were completely cured.
- Anti-Inflammatory – inflammation is a major cause of ailments and medical problems, and it can be partially attributed to the average American diet, which is highly inflammatory! But oregano oil may be able to help with the inflammation as you alter your diet and start consuming better quality foods. One study, in particular, found that oregano oil, along with thyme oil, reduced inflammatory markers in the blood in mice that had artificially induced colitis. Carvacrol, one of the key components in oregano oil, has also been linked to the reduction of inflammation in the body.
- Pain Relief – Oregano oil has been investigated for its painkilling properties. One study in mice tested standard painkillers and essential oils, including oregano oil, for their capacity to relieve pain. It found that oregano oil significantly reduced pain in mice, with effects similar to the commonly used painkillers fenoprofen and morphine. The research proposed these results were likely due to the carvacrol content of oregano oil.
- Help Treat Yeast Infections – Yeast is a type of fungus. and while it can be mostly harmless, an overgrowth can result in gut problems and uncomfortable infections, such as thrush. The most well-known yeast is called Candida, which is the most common cause of yeast infections worldwide. In test-tube studies, oregano oil has been found to be effective against five different types of Candida, such as those that cause infections in the mouth and vagina. In fact, it was more effective than any other essential oil tested.
There are a few different ways to use oregano as well. According to Healthline, there isn’t one standard dose for oregano oil. But these are the website’s guidelines for using oregano oil medicinally:
- On the skin: For skin conditions or infections, dilute with olive oil at a concentration of 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of olive oil per drop of oregano oil, then apply to the affected area.
- Under the tongue: Dilute with olive oil at a ratio of one drop of oregano oil to one drop of olive oil. Place 1–3 drops of this dilution under the tongue, hold it there for a few minutes, then flush with water.
- Swallowed: If you’re taking the oregano oil orally, you can put a few drops of it into a cup (237 ml) of water, gargle and then swallow.
Perhaps oregano is the herbal answer you’ve been looking for!
*DISCLAIMER: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not meant to treat, cure, diagnose, or attempt to treat, cure, or diagnose any medical condition or ailment. Please make sure to contact a medical professional about your own personal health and conditions before making any medicinal changes to your health routine.
This article was originally published at Ready Nutrition™ on October 31st, 2019