Homemade All Natural Petroleum Jelly Without the Petroleum
By ANYA V
Vaseline is made of petroleum jelly which is basically a byproduct of the oil industry. Did you know that petroleum products are harmful to your health? Petroleum jelly forms a seal over the skin, thus disrupting the body’s ability to eliminate toxins through the pores. Recent studies reported by the Chemtox website suggest dangerous side effects of toxic petroleum ingredients:
Petroleum based chemicals are being found to cause significant attritional effects to the nervous system and immune system after prolonged exposure. Illnesses identified in the medical research include adult and child cancers, numerous neurological disorders, immune system weakening, autoimmune disorders [and more].
Research done by the Environmental Working Group adds that,
Many of the cosmetic industry’s chemical safety assessments reveal that common petroleum-based cosmetic ingredients can be contaminated with a cancer-causing impurity called 1,4-dioxane.
Luckily, you can make your own natural “vaseline” with just 3 ingredients.
- In a small sauce pan, over low to medium heat, warm coconut oil and beeswax until melted.
- Remove from heat and add olive oil.
- Whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- Continue to whisk as mixture cools, whisk until mixture is creamy yet still pourable.
- Pour into your favorite jar or shallow dish and enjoy!
This homemade gel will keep fresh on the counter for up to a year.