The Top 10 Studies Of 2013 Proving The Medicinal Power Of Cannabis
by Arjun Walia
Just because a substance is illegal does not mean it is bad. In fact, many legal substances are responsible for a variety of ailments; prescription drugs alone are responsible for killing over 100,000 people each year.
Cannabis was considered a harmful drug for many years despite the fact that scientific evidence to prove it is greatly lacking. All of the evidence points to this plant having great benefits for the human body.
It’s 2014 now, and more people are becoming aware of the fact that our body actually produces compounds called endocannabinoids, and they play an important role in many processes within the body that help to create a healthy environment. Cannabis activates the cannabinoid receptors in the body. It’s important to note that the best method of ingestion is not through smoke, because this changes the chemical structure of the plant. Cannabis is a powerful key to good health when we eat it vs. smoking it.
Widget not in any sidebars
1. Cannabis May Grow Stem Cells And Repair the Brain After Injury. A new study published in the journal Biochemical Society Transactions found that the brain’s endocannabinoid system, which is activated through cannabis use, has neuroprotective and immunomodualtory capabilities which might lead to the growth of stem feels. This study coincides with some listed above, such as the study which demonstrated that cannabinoids improve the efficiency of mitochondria and remove damaged brain cells. Also seen above, scientists discovered that cannabis may reduce brain damage caused by alcohol. There are many studies which show the potential benefits of cannabis on the brain. Not long ago, the very first human trials started to study the benefits of cannabis on brain cancer, that’s also listed in the article list above.
2. THC May Treat Inflammatory Diseases and Cancer By Altering Genes. A new government-funded study that was published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry has found that THC may actually alter certain genes in our body. This could result in a positive effect on a number of conditions, especially cancers and inflammatory diseases. Cannabis is currently used to help with the side effects of chemo therapy, there have also been a number of studies that confirm it can be an effective treatment and cure for multiple cancers. You can take a look at them in the list I’ve provided above.
In this study, researchers using rat models found that THC positively altered 13 different microRNAs, which are linked to inflammatory responses. As the study states, “select miRNA such as mir-690 targeting genes involved in myeloid expansion and differentiation likely play crucial roles in this process and therefore in cannabis-induced immunosuppression.
3. Cannabinoids Found To Reduce Skin Cancer In Just 20 Weeks. A new study published in the Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, conducted by the Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Public Health has found that cannabinoids can reduce skin cancer in just 20 weeks. In this study, researchers used the synthetic cannabinoids on mice with skin cancer in a 20 week study, and found that the cannabinoids had a very positive effect through “inhibiting tumor promotion.” We do not support animal testing, and feel it is unnecessary, that it’s time to move past all of this proof and just acknowledge cannabis as a natural medicine, if used correctly, with the correct intake method.
4. Cannabinoids May Be Helpful In Combating HIV. A new study published in the Journal of Leukocyte Biology indicate that the activation of the cannabinoid system may offer a means to limit HIV infection. The research was conducted by the Temple University School of medicine in Philadelphia. Researchers infected a type of white blood cell in our body that fights infections with the HIV virus, before exposing it to cannabis. After seven days against a control group, the results revealed a decrease in the rate of HIV infection, the blood cells became stronger at keeping the HIV virus out. “The synthetic compounds we used in our study may show promise in helping the body fight HIV infection. As compounds like these are improved further and made widely available, we will continue to explore their potential to fight other viral diseases that are notoriously difficult to treat.”
5. THC Can Provide Protection From Cardiac Arrest. A new study that was released in the Journal of Biochemical Pharmacology determined that even a small. “ultra low” does of THC before ischemia is a safe and effective treatment that “reduced myocardial ischemic damage.” Basically, THC can provide protection from heart attacks, as well as reduce the potential cardiovascular damage associated with suffering one.
6. Cannabis Can Stop Seizures. A new study published in the British Journal of Pharmacology has found that cannabis can stop seizures due to its “significant anticonvulsant effects.” The findings of the study “strongly support the further clinical development of cannabis for the treatment of epilepsy.” There are many examples of people who use cannabis for treatment to stop seizures. This isn’t the only study that proves it, but it’s the first one to study the effect of the entire cannabis plant.
7. Cannabis Combats Brain Degeneration and Increases Stamina. A new study published in Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society, B, conducted at the institute of Molecular Psychiatry at the University of Bonn in Germany suggests that the activation of the brain’s cannabinoid system triggers the release of antioxidants, which act as a cleansing mechanism, improving the efficiency of mitochondria and removing damaged brain cells. This is on par with the first study in this list, as well as many others listen above.
8. Cannabinoids May Be The Best Medication For Those With PTSD. A new study in published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, conducted by researchers at the New York University School of Medicine found a connection between the number of cannabinoid receptors in the brain and the effects of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). They used brain imaging to show that PTSD sufferers have lower concentrations of anandamide that the average person, these are endocannabinoids that bind to the CB1 receptors. Many people use marijuana to assist them with relaxation and stress.
9. Cannabis Can Treat Osteoarthritis. According to new study published in the journal PLOS One, as well as the National Institute of Health found strong evidence that cannabis can treat osteoarthritis. “These data provide new clinically relevant evidence that joint damage and spinal CB2 receptor expression are correlated combined with converging pre-clinical evidence that activation of CB2 receptors inhibits central sensitization and its contribution to the manifestation of chronic OA pain.” This study was funded by Arthritis Research U.K., as well as the National Institutes of Health.
10. Cannabis May Prevent Organ Transplants From Being Rejected. A new study published in the journal Biochemical Society Transactions, and the Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology found that cannabis may prevent organs from being rejected during transplant, which usually leads to death.
These are 10 studies out of a very large amount that are available within the public domain. Cannabis is a gift from nature; it’s an extremely powerful medicinal plant that has proven to be effective in treating a wide range of ailments. If you were unaware of this, hopefully these ten studies encourage you to further your research on the medicinal power of cannabis, which can no longer be denied.
All medical studies are highlighted throughout the article, just click on the highlighted parts (in blue) to view them.
Related CE Articles:
- 20 Medical Studies That Prove Cannabis Can Cure Cancer
- Scientists Discover That Cannabis May Reduce Brain Damage Caused By Alcohol
- Very First Human Trials Using Cannabis To Treat Brain Cancer Are Under Way
- The Top 4 Medical Studies That Prove Cannabis Can Cure Cancer
- Cannabis Is Key To Good Health When We Eat It vs. Smoke It
- Marijuana May Prevent Memory Loss By Reducing Brain Inflammation
- New Study Shows Cannabinoids Improve Efficiency Of Mitochondria And Remove Damaged Brain Cells
- Woman Replaces 40 Medications With Raw Cannabis Juice